New Release - December 18th 2023
- Palette Panel Enhancements: The Palette Panel now supports multi-selection, drag & drop, screen color picker, and gradient creation tools. This enhancement brings more efficient color management and expands creative possibilities.
- Bookmark Management: You can now efficiently organize and access your projects with the new Bookmark Management feature.
- Viewport Background Color Toggle: We've added a feature to toggle background colors in the viewport, allowing for a more comfortable and customizable workspace environment.
- Equipment Node & Face count: Equipment templates have been updated to show only the node and face count of equipment assets, more accurately displaying the important information.
- Viewport Grid Enhancement: Orthographic grids have been added to all viewcube planes in the viewport, providing a better scale reference and aiding in spatial orientation.
- Extended Modeler Mirror Planes: Mirror planes in the Modeler now extend beyond volume boundaries, offering a clearer reference for modeling and texturing activities.
- Create/Erase Quick Toggle: Boost your modeling speed with the 'springloaded' SHFT shortcut for seamless switching between Create and Erase tools.
- Camera Orbit Point: Orbiting point follows your asset around the scene.
- Animator's Viewport Orbit Point: The orbit point issue in the Animator's viewport has been resolved, resulting in improved camera control.
- VXM Name Crash: We've fixed the crash that occurred due to case sensitivity in VXM naming.
- Voxel Duplication: Fixed the duplication of newly added voxels when working with existing models.
- Undo Function in Shared Palettes: Undo is now fixed when making color changes in shared palettes.
New Release - October 25th 2023 - Beta 55645b7e
- New language added to VoxEdit: German.
- Minor fixes
New Release - September 20th 2023 - Beta Public Version 319df3a
- New Timeslider Keyframes: Now, your animation keyframes are also grouped in the timeslider for streamlined bulk selection and editing directly from the timeslider.
- Clutter Free Camera Navigation: You can now orbit and pan your scene without the gizmo or bounding boxes interfering.
- Selected Node & Face Count: You can now see how many nodes and faces are selected directly in the viewport.
- User Default Palette: You can now set your favorite palette as the Default palette.
- Asset export: Texture optimization for game export.
- Timeline curve menu heading: Text "Animation" changed to "Interpolation."
- Timeline contextual menu: "Send to All" changed to "Apply to All."
- Camera zoom shortcut: Smooth zooming now possible with CTRL/CMD+RMB drag.
- Animator: Shortcut for "Deselect All" added. CTRL/CMD+W
- Node & Face count warning: Updated to align with VoxEdit academy.
- Node Pivot Point Icon: Users can now identify the pivot point location in Rigger camera mode.
- Keyboard shortcut: Added for "Create Child Node" in Skeleton Panel.
- VoxEdit's standard palette: Updated and replaced, check it our on new models.
- Library models: Now sorted alphanumerically by name.
- Viewport display: Fixed the display of wireframes; now they are occluded behind models.
- Sync with MagicaVoxel: Colors for large rigs not updating immediately in VoxEdit.
- Volume rendering: Fix applied to volume floor and ceiling rendering in orthographic camera mode.
- Volume tool: Fix for when voxel is trimmed to 1 voxel and can't be adjusted.
- Modeler gizmo: Updated to only show positive axis arrows.
- Move tool gizmo size: Resolved issue of it being too large when editing models on a big rig.
- Voxel selection with edit volume tool: Issue fixed.
- Volume resizer description: Added missing helpline.
- Volume resizer shortcut: (V) is now displayed on hover.
- VXR hierarchy import: Resolved conflict with shared palettes.
- 'Reset view' button: Mismatch between modules resolved.
- Node and model naming: Restored automatic renaming in "Flip X-Axis" function.
- Block editor module: Resolved inversion of "Import" and "Export" icons.
- Asset screenshot: Issue of including part of ghost rig resolved.
May 31st, 2023 - Public Beta 55b2e188 Release
May 31st 2023 - Introducing Our Exciting New Update! Beta 55b2e188
Get ready for a game-changing upgrade that enhances your creative experience with powerful features and improvements designed to boost your productivity and enjoyment.
- Palette Sharing: Effortlessly edit model and asset colors across multiple models with shared palettes for super-fast updates.
- MacOS Ventura Support: VoxEdit is back in action on MacOS, ensuring seamless compatibility and functionality.
- New Camera Navigation: Seamlessly navigate while editing models, mirroring the navigation experience in the Animator module.
- Model Check: Easily identify problem areas with our new toggle feature, streamlining your workflow.
- Edit Volume Interactive Mode: Enhanced for a smoother user experience.
- Trim Volume Tool: Quickly access this essential tool in the library toolbar.
- Content Selection: A more visually appealing interface for better user experience.
- Framework Update: [Please note that detachable panels are temporarily unavailable.]
- Faster Large File Loading: Less waiting time means more time for creating!
- Select All Library Models: Completing the Select All experience, Ctrl/CMD+A now enables selection of all models in the library panel.
- Enlarged Node Icons: Easily identify assigned models to Node types in the Skeleton and Library panels.
- Modeler Access: Instantly enter the Modeler by double-clicking a node with a model in the Skeleton Panel.
- Animation Preservation: Retain selected Animations when using the 'delete all animations but current one' button.
- Isolated Move & Rotate Axis: Non-selected axis disappears when in use, reducing screen clutter.
- Increased Viewcube Size: Enjoy an aesthetically pleasing change and easier interaction.
- Delete Backup VXM Models: Keep your asset folder organized and clutter-free.
- New Icons: Template and Forbidden node icons added to panels for clearer identification.
- Inspector Panel: Options become inactive during animation playback for a focused experience.
- Contextual Menu: Displays inactive functions when not available, reducing confusion.
- Loading Pop Up: Display to indicate VoxEdit is working for you
- Imported VXR Files: Resolves integration issues with equipment template scenes for smoother workflows.
- Filename Update: Automatically updates after "Save As" action, ensuring accuracy and preventing file misplacement.
- Overwrite Warning: Prevents unintentional overwrites with alerts for existing asset names, protecting your work.
- Animation Button: Removes the active playback state on static animations.
- Flip Rig Tool: Fix for animation, resolving rig flipping issues and maintaining tool functionality.
March 20th 2023 - Patch Release
- Animation offset function
- Library - "Delete Backup Models" Feature
- Templates - Lock renaming animations for certain templates.
- Animator - Viewport Rectangle Selection Includes Models Outside Selection Area.
- Animator - CTRL / CMD click in the Skeleton Panel not working for multiselection.
- Animator - Template nodes get renamed along with Normal ones in multiselection.
- Animator - [Save File] VXR Title Name Not Updated in Animator After Using "Save As" Feature.
- Modeler - Arrow Keys Move Voxels When "Save Selected Voxels" Popup Is Visible.
February 28th 2023 - Patch Release
- Fixed issue with gray man exporting to the Dashboard with equipment.
- Fixed crash when exporting assets to Marketplace with duplicated animation IDs.
- Fixed Autofocus on active animation on opening VXR files.
- Fixed issue with VE not preparing GLTF files properly for rigs with interactive nodes.
- Login credentials changed to show Username only.
- Login credentials needed to upload assets.
- Improved camera near plane in orthographic mode.
- Enhanced rectangle selection in Viewport to select models behind or inside other models.
- Added default layout for first-time users.
- Autoscroll added no newly created animation.
- Autoscroll added to active animation when opening a file for the first time
August 29, 2022 - Public Beta Release
- Login (for Content Collab feature)
- Animation Channels!
- Ability to toggle between per axis and SLERP (spherical linear interpolation, i.e: what we had before) for multi axis rotations
- Automated SLERP toggle to keep old behaviour for most animators
- Reference frames for translation (World, Parent, Object)
- Camera POV widget
- Color, node name and channel filters for timeline
- Delete Material button in Material panel
- Append Palette in Palette header menu
- Circle and Sphere tools for Modeler and Block Editor
- Value dragging and arrows for Inspector transform text fields
- Double clicking a node in the viewport now edits it's attached model
- Floor grid toggle for Animator
- "Solo Layer" mode for Modeler
- Upload Popup
- New and improved themes!
- Tab system for Library and Inspector
- Vertical layout for Inspector, with new/delete keyframe per channel buttons
- Save and Save As in File menu
- Button to remove recent file from list
- Picker tool now works on any visible voxel, not just the active layer's ones
- Opening a rig now sets the camera to fit
- Camera now works better, makes it almost impossible to lock itself inside of geometry
- Added shortcuts to Sync To/From MagicaVoxel (ctrl/cmd+m, shift+ctrl/cmd+m)
- Added shortcut to Return to Rig from editing a model (esc)
- Added shortcut to copy from/paste to currently focused textfield (ctrl/cmd + c/v)
- Shorter rows in Timeline
- Better Animator floor grid
- Updated links to Marketplace, Tutorials, Guidelines, etc
- New Language Selector UI
- Added Move In Plane widget for selected voxel movement
- Selected voxel edges are now shown in new "see through" mode
- Orthographic camera is better
- In shortest editor window, Modeler toolbar changes it's layout to be in two columns
- Voxel and node count for Animator
- Animation max length is now 30 seconds
- Removed Long Way Rotation (backwards compatibility kept by autoadding a middle keyframe)
- Removed Local Transforms (backwards compatibility by adding a child node that is transformed using the original local transform and attaching the node's model to it instead)
- GLTF is now exporting all animations for animated assets, not only the ones that have more keyframes
- Removed Keep Position through Rotation unintuitive feature
- Node names are now limited to 24 characters
- New Animations now take first frame pose from the current pose
- VoxEdit now only runs as a single instance
- New Keyframe is disabled while playing an animation
- Inspector IK values are no longer editable while playing an animation
- Timeline rows are now a bit shorter
- Removed "Scroll Layer" buttons from Modeler viewport (easier to work with the Translation widget)
- Moving Keyframe at frame 0 now copies it
- Syncing from MagicaVoxel now selects the correct active material
- Fixed issues with operative system locale and Inspector transform text fields
- Fixed scroll areas not resetting when resized
- Attaching/detaching panels now close all modals
- Deleting a layer now ensures that there is an active layer afterwards
- Loop and Zoom bars are now much better behaved
- Detached panels now enforce a min size
- Undo and redo no longer break selected voxels in Modeler
- Zoom to fit now shows at least 2 seconds
- Recovered most functionality while animation is playing
- Editor no longer crashes when stress clicking attach/detach panel buttons
- Skeleton now trims down too long node names.
- Save Confirmation popup trims down too long filenames
- Text in Welcome Screen has better readability now
- Opening a non existant recent file no longer crashes VE
- Default theme no longer has the same color for the grid and the background in the Animator
- Using Bucket tool in Paint or Erase mode outside of the volume in 2D views no longer crashes the editor
- Frame tool didn't create an Undo step
- New Keyframe will no longer add them to read only template nodes
- Camera reset was changing the near and far planes
- Block Editor kept old undo steps inbetween sessions
- Screen Rect tool in Block Editor now renders rectangle on top
- 2D views now update properly when the user cancels an action
- Select mode with Face tool on empty space in 2D view no longer crashes the editor
- Screen Rect tool in 2D views was mirrored on X in TOP and BOTTOM views
- Next Keyframe button and shortcut now work properly
- Copying/Pasting Keyframes no longer crash the editor
- Tweaking an IK constrain was making it invisible
- Moving Keyframes in a dettached Timeline while the animation is running no longer crashes VE
- Moving/copying keyframes now create an undo step
- Palette header menus are now correctly rendered for a dettached Palette panel
- Adding/deleting layers now move the scroll properly
- Deleting a model kept it's thumbnail in the cache
- Opening a VXM now sets the first visible layer to be active
- Bucket tool with SELECT/PAINT/ERASE mode wasn't working well on the RIGHT/BOTTOM/BACK bounds of the volume
- Keyframe rect selection now works even if the left bound is behind the zero frame
- Loading a non palette PNG as a palette no longer overwrites the first slot with a white material
- Deleting VXMs from Library and importing/creating new ones with the same name will no longer show old thumbnail
- Having a different decimal separator than "." set in the OS's regional settings no longer crashes VE
- Creating decorative nodes for assets made based on decorable templates no longer crashes VE
- Load Palette from a dettached Palette panel no longer crashes VE
- Screen Rect tool now works properly in 2D views
- Dragging/copying a KF on top of another now overwrites it properly
November 11th, 2021 - Public Beta Release
- DETACHABLE PANELS IN MACOS:
- This long requested feature is now available for MacOS users too
- Panel now allows for layer reordering via drag n drop
- We now support 16 layers (might get a bit slow for large volumes in low-end hardware)
- Palette panel can now be collapsed to make room for a larger Layers panel
- VIEWPORT TOGGLES:
- IK bones visibility in Rigger (only visible with IK enabled)
- Depth view toggle in Modeler's 2D views
- "RESET TO DEFAULT" OPTION IN FILE MENUS
- It clears ALL of the editor's configuration to default settings, fixing possible issues with retro compatibility or monitors being plugged in/out between sessions.
- New MacOS app icon
- Made MacOS pkg simpler and more compatible
- Pen and Screen Rect tool now work in deselect mode
- Right-clicking a gizmo no longer sends the camera to orbit the floor behind it, but orbits the gizmo itself
- Select and Delete Keyframes do no longer work while the animation is playing
- Timeline now collapses, expands, detaches, and reattaches properly
- "Send to All" feature now has a confirmation popup
- Inspector fields now check for errors taking into account the user's regional settings
- Importing PNG as block side no longer keeps only used materials in the palette
- Importing multiple PNGs as block sides now update the palette properly
- NEW SHORTCUTS
- Select/Translate/Rotate in Animator (1, 2, 3)
- Previous/next frame in Animator (Left/Right arrow)
- Previous/next keyframe in Animator (Ctrl/Cmd+Left/Right arrow)
- Tools in Block Editor (QWERT)
- Reset camera in Block Editor (F)
- Toggle Long Way Rotation for selected interpolations (I)
- CRASH/BLOCKER FIXES
- Crash when deleting 10th IK constraint
- Crash when saving a multi-layer model where the background layers have a smaller bounding box than the ones above
- Static assets that used two materials with the same color but one being emissive now will look right ingame
- Exporting an animation now saves the current state of the selected animation and not the one from the last save operation
- UI FIXES
- 2D views in Modeler now update properly when charging a material
- Clicking outside 2D views no longer affect the model in any way
- Frame tool now shows properly in 2D views
- Brightened darkest 2D view depth cue
- Layer rename field now has a character limit
- Layer buttons no longer reset to default dark color when changing layer order
- Play button now shows Pause icon while the animation plays
- Grid line color in Animator gets its color from the current theme
- Zoom/Loop bar handles now gets their color from the current accent
- Default animation is now clearly marked visually
- Keyframe stretch bars are now visible again, and drag properly
- Quad edge view is no longer wrongfully visible in the Animator
- Save button in Preferences no longer closes popup
- Shortcut input field is now wide enough for most localized key names
- Ctrl/Cmd and Shift shortcut buttons now take their background color from the current theme, and are wide enough to show their captions properly
- Shortcut key field now gets it's background color from the current theme
- Templates search field now has a character limit
- Replaced collapse/expand icons to make them clearer to the user
- Added missing footers for detached Material and Block Side panels
- Added many, MANY missing undo points, and many tooltips to UI components.
August 28th, 2021 - Public Beta Release
- 20000% speed improvement when selecting many voxels at once in the Modeler.
- Loading a VXR file now scrubs a deprecated mirrored flag from the asset.
- UI Combo controls can now be collapsed by clicking on the combo again.
- Big fix for Undo in some corner cases (still missing some though).
- Importing a VOX file as a Rig no longer adds some weird keyframe data into the first frame.
- On Syncing From MagicaVoxel, we now do our best to honor the pivot position (but keep in mind that you shouldn't change the volume size in MV).
- Can now keep only the Layers panel attached without the Viewport overlapping it.
- Upscaling/downscaling a model while having 2D views now updates their cameras to still view the model.
- Using New Palette now keeps materials used in all layers.
- Ortho views and Block Faces are now labeled correctly.
June 22nd, 2021 - Public Beta Release
Sync To/From MagicaVoxel (found in Animator File menu):
- You can Sync To MV, edit the models there, save and Sync From to get the changes back into VoxEdit.
Decorative nodes in template based assets:
- You can now add childs to nodes in template based assets and animate them.
- Asset will save automatically every 10 minutes as a backup, which can be loaded from the Recent Files card.
Shortcut Quick Guide
- Displays all active shortcuts in an overlay.
- Can be opened with the keyboard button on the right side of the menu bar, or by pressing the H key.
Theming support for viewport background and grid line colors:
- We'll have some whole UI themes on the next release.
Added a collidable flag for Animator's nodes
- As an artist, you can now select which nodes should be collideable ingame.
- This is not yet implemented in the Game, but your assets will be compatible once it's done.
"List style" layout for File Browser
- Just like in any file browser, now you can choose a layout that allows you to see much more files and folders.
New things found on the Animator's Library or on its menu cards
- "Replace", which loads VXM and VOX and replaces the model with it.
- "Delete Unattached", which cleans up your project by deleting the models that are not attached to the rig.
- "Export as VOX", a small shortcut to create a MagicaVoxel compatible file from a model directly in the Animator.
- "Pan Camera" (default: SPACE)
- "Copy Keyframes" (default: C)
- "Open Shortcut Quick Guide" (default: H)
- "Save as New Model" in Modeler, which makes a new model with the selected voxels.
- Interpolation type tooltip on hover.
- Timeline readout now also shows current frame (from 0 to 479).
- New Animator floor grid that has subdivisions up to individual voxels and extends far into the distance.
- New Modeler checkerboard grid that looks better and is much less performance heavy.
- Voxel volume is now rendered better, and faster. Tool previews too.
- UI controls now detect hover only when proper.
- No more hovering things behind popups, contextual menus or other windows.
- No more tooltips appearing from behind those either.
- Visual feedback in Timeline Curves popup.
- Currently selected interpolation curve button is now shown active, only if all selected interpolations have the same curve.
- Displacing voxels is now more intuitive.
- Modeler 2D views now show tool previews and better support edition.
- Windows will now show in a background color while resizing, making for a cleaner and speedier resize.
- Duplicate node is now selected on creation.
- Home button is now Back button if editing a Model coming from the Animator.
- Combo controls now collapse properly by clicking on them again (Language and collapsed Timeline panel Animation List)
- Export to Marketplace popup animation dropdown now scrolls, and it's contents are sorted alphabetically.
- Files in File Browser are now sorted on both Windows and MacOS.
- ENTER and TAB keys are no longer permitted to be used for shortcut chords.
- "Delete Keyframe" shortcut is now BACKSPACE on OSX by default.
- Fixed very large static rigs crashing the editor when trying to export.
- Fixed low repro issue that made rigs load broken (all models placed at the origin) in a small set of systems.
- Fixed Camera focus.
- The editor will now keep running in the background if an animation is playing.
- Modeler mirrors now show all of the time and not only when utilizing the tool.
- Pasting keyframes before cutting/copying some does not crash anymore.
- Overwriting a VXR will now delete the overwritten folder (and it's contents) first.
- Bad Internet connectivity no longer crashes VoxEdit.
- Fixed Apple key symbols showing crossed boxes in the Shortcuts popup. We now show key names instead.
- Pressing ESC while the top bar menu is active does not break the menu anymore.
- Fixed issue with Text Field error messages appearing behind other UI controls sometimes.
- Tutorials UI now show all of the tutorials in the YouTube playlist.
- Window UI now adapts properly after resizing.
- When detached, Library and Inspector UI headers now adapt their window sizes.