Jan 31, 2024 - 7 min read
GoGo! Game Jam
The Sandbox Game Jams are open to anyone with an interest in creating games! We invite you to enter our vibrant ecosystem where gaming meets culture, where creators come together, and where your wildest dreams become your new reality. Only your imagination sets the limits. The Sandbox is by anyone for everyone — Let’s build the metaverse together!
Go mad with Madballs™ for another exciting Game Jam in The Sandbox!
Some of you may just have completed your previous Game Jam… but no time to rest on your laurels!
There are games to be made and prizes and glory to win!
- Prizes and glory?
Yes! With a 50,000 SAND prize pool and other exciting prizes such as LANDs, Catalysts, and the opportunity to be published on Madballs’ official Estate!
- Tell me what to do!
You must create a game with our free, no-code Game Maker software. But not just any game — you will have to work within a theme which will be revealed on kick-off day. So stay tuned!
How Do I Participate?
You must first register for the Game Jam in order to participate.
The event is online.
⏰ REGISTER NOW to secure your spot in this maddingly exciting Game Jam!
Registrations close on February 6th.
🏁 Starting shots are fired on February 7th with the theme reveal!🏁
Join the Program Managers for a Game Jam Kick-Off AMA to take part in the fun and get the chance to ask any questions you may have.
Registered participants will receive an invite link in their emails to the AMA which will take place at 1:30 PM UTC!
Please make sure that you check your email throughout the Game Jam — we will check in with you along the way with more AMAs, workshops, resources, and more!
We will be with you all the way so if you are new or inexperienced, worry not!
We are here to help 🤝
- An Account in The Sandbox! If you are a new user, please find a beginner guide here.
- Our no-code Game Maker software to create your game (required). Download it for free here.
- Our VoxEdit software to create your own custom assets (optional). Download for free here.
You stand a chance at a share of the 50,000 SAND prize pool as well as 10 LANDs and exclusive Catalyst Packs! SAND is The Sandbox’s native token, which can be used to purchase various items in our ecosystem such as ASSETs and LAND!
BRAND OPPORTUNITY: Madballs would like to welcome you on their LAND! Taking part in this Game Jam offers contestants the chance to get their games published directly on Madballs’ virtual Estate!
🥇1ST PLACE — 15,000 SAND + 1x1 LAND + Gold Catalyst Pack
🥈2ND PLACE — 8,000 SAND + 1x1 LAND + Silver Catalyst Pack
🥉3RD PLACE — 5,000 SAND + 1x1 LAND + Silver Catalyst Pack
🎖️ 4TH PLACE — 3,000 SAND + 1x1 LAND + Silver Catalyst Pack
🎖️ 5TH — 10TH PLACE — 1,500 SAND + 1x1 LAND + Bronze Catalyst Pack
⭐Honorable Mention (up to 10) — 1,000 SAND each!
If you are using a Team / Studio wallet without KYC, it must instead meet the conditions for a “Verified Creator”. Find out more under ⚠️Important Rules.
What are Catalyst Packs?
Read more about what Catalysts are and how to use them here!
Gold Catalyst Pack: 1 🟨, 3 🟪, 10 🟦, 50 🟩, 100 ⬜
Silver Catalyst Pack: 1 🟪, 5 🟦, 25 🟩, 50 ⬜
Bronze Catalyst Pack: 3 🟦, 10 🟩, 25 ⬜
- January 23rd: Registrations Open (10:00 AM UTC)
- February 6th: Registrations Close (11:59 PM UTC)
- February 7th: Game Jam Kick-Off AMA & Theme reveal (1:30 PM UTC)
- February 27th: Submission Deadline (5:00 PM UTC)
- March 30th: Live Awards Ceremony on Twitch (7 PM UTC)
Make sure to join the Live Awards Ceremony on March 30th to take part in the celebration and for a chance to enter exciting giveaways!🎉
Winners will also be announced on Discord and Twitter/X between March 31st — April 1st for those who missed the Live Awards Ceremony.
🗣️Join our Discord for updates and announcements related to Game Jams and the Game Maker.
How to participate
Please follow the steps below to get started!
- Create a The Sandbox account by following these steps.
- Join our Discord to stay up to date and meet other creators!
- Form your team consisting of 1–4 people.
- Register for the Game Jam.
- Stay ready for the Game Jam Kick-Off and remember to check your emails!
- Make sure to look at the 📚Resources section below to learn more about being a creator in The Sandbox.
- Plan and build your game!
- Share your completed game to the Game Maker Gallery. We will email you with further instructions.
- Submit your entry to the submission form which will be emailed to you.
Why participate in The Sandbox Game Jams?
The Sandbox is an exciting ecosystem where the lines between creators and brands are blurred and everyone comes together to build the future of the platform. Whether you have dreams of creating your own gaming franchise or working alongside your favourite brand, there is a special place for you in The Sandbox!
Explore our Map here!
Regardless of your experience level, Game Jams have much to offer for all creators!
Exciting prizes: Win exciting prizes, publishing opportunities, and recognition within The Sandbox’s community.
Exposure: Game Jams are a great way to show off your game development prowess to become a recognized game designer in The Sandbox ecosystem while also gaining valuable feedback and connections within the community.
Build Your Resume: With strict time constraints, these contests offer you a great opportunity to rapidly build your resume as a creator and show the world what you are made of!
Skill Enhancement: Sharpen your Game Maker skills and experiment with new ideas. The Game Jams are an opportunity to learn, grow, and refine your competences.
Community Spirit: Take part in a vibrant community of fellow creators, where you can share your progress, exchange ideas, and collaborate with others who share your passion for game development. Don’t forget to join our Discord!
Important rules ⚠️
Please make sure that you read all the rules HERE!
It is very important that you do that to ensure that your submission is valid and follows our rules and guidelines.
Some key rules to keep in mind includes:
- Software: Your game must be designed in our Game Maker software using the latest version of the Game Maker software.
- Creation Date: Your game must be created on or after the kick-off date of this Game Jam.
- Size: Your game must be no larger than 1x1.
- KYC/Verification (Top 10): To place in the Top 10, all prize-winning wallets must have completed KYC or they must classify as “Verified Creators”. To qualify as a Verified Creator, you must fulfill one of two conditions:
- Your wallet is linked with a Game Maker Fund account.
- You have participated in 5 Game Jams and/or VoxEdit contests and placed in the Top 10 at least once.
Please note that you only need to meet one of these requirements to qualify.
Judges & Voting
Voting consists of two phases and is done primarily by The Sandbox staff in collaboration with The Council.
Game Jams done in collaboration with The Sandbox’s partners may also include partner judges who will vote in phase 2.
Games are judged based on five categories, amounting to a maximum of 22 points per judge.
You can read more about how we rate your games here.
- Learn to use the Game Maker here.
- Learn to use VoxEdit to create assets here.
- Join our community of creators on Discord, where you can ask for help, find teams to work with, read important updates, and make connections with other passionate game developers.
- Download the Game Maker here.
- Download VoxEdit here.
- Save time and buy assets from our Marketplace here.
If you did not find an answer, we look forward to welcoming you in the Game Maker and Game Jam channels in our Discord where staff and fellow creators are ready and happy to help you!
Good luck to all participants!